Concrete Voids: The reason behind a bad structure
A major problem nowadays are the uneven surfaces like the voids and cavities on the floor, inside walls or around the sideways are occurring due to improper construction works or soil erosion and it affects the foundation badly leading to building collapse and losing the magnificence of the structure. Void concrete filling is the best way to minimize the risk of soil erosion.
Our task is to fill voids, re-levels, re-supports, and stitch the affected and designated concrete slabs.
Why do Void forms?
Void can be formed under concrete floor due to many reasons. When a house is built the compression level that soil can withstand is hardly taken. After longtime the soil under concrete floor starts settling down due to the compression from the weight of the concrete itself, causing voids. Additionally, erosion from rain water, tectonic activities and improper drainage system can create voids.
In most of the cases, voids occurs in the basement and generally in the areas like carports, sidewalks near foundations.Void concrete filling supports and revels the affected areas and is a reliable method to fill up the voids.
How to detect voids?
In a concrete floor voids can be seen in form of cave-ins or bowls. Talking about the extreme cases, concrete floor can sink and becomes uneven that cause accumulation of rainwater around it.
There are some techniques to detect the voids and perform Void concrete filling:
- Using Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR):-Various forms of GPR can be used for detecting voids or cavities. Namely, Single and two-channel system that are mostly used for foundations, bridges, buildings, and short road sections.
Multi-channel and phased array systems are used for high speed long sections of highways.
- Impact Echo:-In this method sound wave propagating through concrete are reflected by internal flaws and external surfaces. It can locate voids directly beneath slabs and pavement.
- Core Drilling:-This method is effective in locating a suspect location but it requires many holes in order to survey an area for voids. Also, not gives the exact indication of void size.
Ways to Repair the Voids:
- Urethane Injection: It is the most common type of injection used for repairing basement leak, water stopping and stopping leaks in concrete foundation walls.
Urethane Foam Concrete Foundation Crack Repair Advantages:
- Closed cell foam stops basement water leaks.
- Water stays outside of the basement.
- Strong bond to foundation concrete.
- Fills the basement wall crack entirely.
- Easy to use.
- No drilling or chiseling.
- Grout Injection: In injection grouting a flowable plastic material having negligible shrinkage is injected to fill the gap or voids completely and remain stable from cracking and crumbling.
Various injection grouting for concrete crack repair:
- Polymer Injection Grout
- Fiber-Reinforced Injection Grout
- Cement-Sand Grout
- Gas-forming Grout
- Sulfo-Aluminate Grout
- Mud Jacking: Also named as Slabjacking is a concrete repair technology in which the sunken concrete slab is lifted to pump a grout through the concrete, effectively pushing it up from below. Mud jacking works for a variety of applications, including securing sidewalks, pool decks and porches. It works equally well with large or small slabs of concrete and can even lift large support structures or housing foundations back into place for repairs.
Better construction techniques and proper information about the construction site helps in avoiding such voids and cavities that makes the foundation slack. And above are some appropriate techniques of void concrete filling that helps to overcome the problem of gaps, voids and cavities.
Feel Free to Contact Us:
Maple Concrete Pumping Inc.
1081 Meyerside Dr,#1, Mississauga ,
Ontario L5T IM4 , CANADA.
General Enquiry: +1 (905) 564 6790